Feedback and complaints

We are continually looking to turn patient feedback into real improvements in the services we provide. We use it to focus on the things that matter most to our patients, carers and their families.

It is the policy of this practice to give an effective, prompt and positive response to all complaints from patients and to ensure that such complaints assist the practice to improve its service in the future.

If you have a complaint or concern about the service you have received from the Doctors or any of the staff working in this practice, please let us know. Our complaints system meets national criteria and operates as part of an NHS system for dealing with complaints.

Giving feedback

To provide feedback:

How to complain

We hope that most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly at the time they arise. However, if you do need to make a formal complaint, please let us know in writing as soon as possible, ideally within a matter of days. If this is not possible then within 6 months of the incident that caused the problem or within 6 months of discovering you have a problem provided it is within 12 months of the incident.

Complaints should be addressed to the Practice Manager or any of the Doctors. We request that all complaints are written so as to ensure that all the facts are correct, this can either be by completing a complaint form which is available at reception or by sending a letter if you prefer. You can also download our Complaints policy and form or Contact the practice.

It will help greatly if you are as specific as possible about your complaint.

What will the practice do?

We will acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days and aim to have fully investigated within 21 days of the date it was received. If we expect it to take longer we will explain the reason for the delay and when we expect to finish our investigation; we will make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned; make sure you receive an apology if this is appropriate and take steps to make sure any problem does not arise again. You will receive a final letter setting out the result of any practice investigations

When reviewing your complaint we shall aim to:

  • Find out what happened and what went wrong
  • Make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned if you would like to
  • Ensure you receive the appropriate apology
  • Identify any steps we can take as a practice to ensure the problem does not happen again
  • Put these steps into action

Complaining on behalf of somebody else:

Please note that we are bound by strict rules regarding medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of somebody else then we have to know that you have his/her permission to do so. This should be provided by way of a signed note, unless incapable through illness of doing so.

Complaining to the NHS:

We hope that if you do have a complaint you will use our practice complaint procedure. We believe this will give us the best chance of resolving the issue satisfactorily and provide an opportunity for us to improve our practice. However, this does not affect your right to approach NHS England if you feel that you cannot raise the complaint directly with us or if you are dissatisfied with the result of our investigation.

As part of the management of complaints in NHS England, your information may be shared with the Commissioning Support Units. If consent is required you will be contacted direct by NHS England.

For further advice contact Herts and west Essex Integrated Care board here:

Phone 01992 566122 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, excluding English Bank Holidays)

Herts and West Essex Integrated Care Board
Charter House
Welwyn Garden City

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome

You have the right to approach the
Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman.
Their contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
30 Millbank

Phone 0345 0154033


You may also approach PALS, Healthwatch or the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy for help or advice.

The local Healthwatch can be found at

The IHCA is able to be contacted at